Employee training is vital to any company's human resources solution. Well-known companies like McDonalds, Xerox and Sprint even have Corporate Universities that reinforce the importance of education efforts within the organization.
Here are some ways to make your training programs truly exceptional:
1. Take the opportunity to show your employees that you are part of the same team; that you see them as part of the company’s future. If implemented properly and its goals communicated effectively, training can be a powerful motivational tool.
2. Show your employees that you support their efforts in improving skills by undergoing training. Make learning and excellence part of the company’s culture and provide the resources to make this possible.
3. Take a holistic approach. The employee training program should be part of an incentive strategy, which, in turn, should have specific goals. To arrive at these goals, you need to determine exactly what you want to achieve. Is it a particular number of outputs? Are you after changing certain behaviors? Or are you more interested in encouraging or rewarding certain behaviors and results? After making a list of your goals, look for corresponding measurable elements that could serve as your training and incentive program benchmarks. Taking this approach helps you maximize your funds for a training program and remain focused on your goals for training.
5. Communicate constantly and communicate well. Make sure everyone is on the same page when it comes to the company’s goals, the incentive program’s goals and the training goals. Make sure the workforce sees clearly how the training is connected to their work and how it contributes to achieving individual, team and company goals.
6. Select the best training space, materials, speakers and instructors that your training fund will allow. Highly informative training materials can be great resources for employees long after the training is over. Choose a location that has enough space and is quiet enough to help trainees concentrate on learning. Use Powerpoint presentations and projectors to make the discussions more interesting. And if you are considering an online training program, choose one that’s easy to customize and that combines training, rewards and incentives in one platform.
7. Include everyone in the training programs, not just the new employees. Training and constant feedback and encouragement can help employees hone their skills and empower them towards achieving their goals.
8. Employee training should focus on measurable goals and results. This reinforces the message that the entire reward program is objective. It’s also easier to track and discuss improvements during training because you are looking at figures and not just concepts. Specific and measurable goals also help in setting expectations for the next training period or the next reward program.